Saturday, October 24, 2009

STILL - Gerrit Hofsink


When I first heard this song, I thought to myself that it MUST be written by someone who had gone through the pain of a miscarriage/ infant loss, this is because he described all the emotions so simply, yet so well. After some research, the song writer (Gerrit Hofsink) wrote this song for his daughter and son-in-law, who lost their firstborn after a 9 month pregnancy. This baby was the song writer's first grandchild.

This video is the only version I found on Youtube, which is a moving tribute made by a mom for her baby boy whom miscarried at 16 weeks. It's a very touching and I REALLY wish I have the skills and knowledge to do something like this for Lucas and Chloe too. Perhaps one day I will, with Mark's help.

Everytime I listen to this song, the tears never fail to fall and my heart starts to ache. But somehow I am hopelessly addicted to it because I can relate to it... and I hope that if my 2 Angels are around me, they would have heard it too, and know that the day when God takes me away, I'll be coming home to them.

I am listening to the song now as I type out this post and the tears are falling.


** Lucas/ Chloe, Please listen to this song and remember the lyrics. It's what mummy wants you to know...




STILL
music & lyrics: Gerrit Hofsink

I’ve been waiting for you
For such a long time
You’re always on my mind

And I’m lying awake
Most of the night
Waiting to hold you tight

Now that I do
And look at you
My heart is breaking
This can’t be true

Chorus:
Lost you before I found you
Gone before you came
But I love you just the same
Missed you before I met you
On earth we never can
But in heaven we’ll meet again

Close to my soul
Close to my heart
Right from the start

Lost in time
Lost in space
Can’t wait to see your face

Now that I do
And look at you
My heart is breaking
I know it’s true

Chorus:
Lost you before I found you
Gone before you came
But I love you just the same
Missed you before I met you
On earth we never can
But in heaven we’ll meet again

Sometimes I find myself wondering what to do
With this pain that I’m going through
But I know one day, God will take me away
And I’m coming home to you

And when I do
And look at you
My heart is healing
I know it’s true

Chorus:
Lost you before I found you
Gone before you came
But I love you just the same
Missed you before I met you
On earth we never can
But in heaven we’ll meet again

4 comments:

Tiffinie said...

I know your pain. I too lost twins last year and heard this song and was moved! I was fortunate enough to have the non-profir organization now i lay me down to sleep come and take photographs of my girls. I wanted to contact Gerrit to see if she would be willing to allow nilmdts to use her song on the dvd slideshows given to families. However, I can't find a way to reach Gerrit by email. Do you happen to know a way I can reach her? Thanks and again, soo sorry for your loss.

Unknown said...

I can't get to Tiffinie's blog to let her know (it's closed to outside readers) but I can get her in touch with Gerrit if she hasn't yet. Tell her to email me at deanna@pregnancyloss.info.

AngelDaisy said...

I have this on my favourites bar. It is truly beautiful and I am the same, never a dry face everytime I listen to it. I really love the picture on your blog. I lost my baby girl Daisy in March 2011 at 21 weeks and my friend lost her baby boy Tom 2 months before me at 29weeks. Heartbreaking times. Our butterflies now. Where is the picture from?

All the best x

Anonymous said...

Our baby Jabali was born still on 19th May 2011. The pain of losing him was the worst thng i'v ever gone through, and there were days I dnt thnk I'd make it thru.
Then I found ths blog n this song, and I'd found somethng 2 get me thru.
I too, am grateful to Gerrit for allowing himself to be so inspired! Ths song speaks to my heart, as tho it were frm my heart.
To all the Angel Mamas out there, I may nt kno exactly what u r goin thru, but I do hav an idea. And each time I feel my pain, I shall remember urs to, n send up a prayer 4 u.
Am glad, my son has plenty of playmates..
Healing to y'all.