Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Countdown to Chloe's EDD --- 6 Days to go


I suggested to Mark that both of us should each write a card to Chloe and 'give' it to her on her EDD next week on 14 Oct. There are heaps of beautiful cards for 'Daughters' out there in the market, all with meaningful wordings and beautiful graphics/ designs. Unfortunately, we could not even find one that's suitable for us/Chloe because in ALL those cards that we looked at, they were about the daughters growing up, and of the daughters having a relationship with the parent/s. To put it bluntly, the cards were meant for people whose daughters are still alive.

I reckon Mark and I are the only weirdos who are buying cards for a daughter who is no longer with us. Obviously Hallmark didn't see the need to create cards of this genre because there is 'no market' for people like us. We are the sad minority of bereaved parents that the world forgot.. Or rather, the world chose to pretend we don't exist because they don't know how to handle us and our constant grieving.

I have decided that I will write cards/ letters to Lucas and Chloe on special occasions (birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas...) and will put them into their respective Treasure Chests. I will even buy them little presents on these occasions to let them know that they are not, and won't ever be forgotten. Hopefully my babies will be able to read what their daddy and mummy has to tell them. And one day when I am old, wrinkled and toothless, I will take them out to read too.

Even if we can't find the right card for Chloe in the shops, I am sure we won't give up so easily. Well, we can always make our own card if we have to. Take that, Hallmark!


No comments: