Thursday, October 22, 2009

Anniversary Dinner @ The Cliff


Mark thought he'd give me a surprise on where he'd be taking me for dinner, and refused to tell me where he was taking me despite my constant badgering. In the end, he brought me to
The Cliff at Sentosa. Most of Mark's 'surprises' always end up more like a 'shock' to me, and this was no exception. I have heard from friends about this place and true to what I have heard, the ambience was wonderful and the service was immaculate. The oysters we had were too good for words, actually some of the best I have tasted. My entree (some scallop thingy) was delectable and the black cod (my main course) was simply scrumptious and it just melted in my mouth. According to Mark, his food was delicious too...

The 'shocking' part was with the price (at least to me)... I know that it was an expensive place for fine dining, but geez, last night's dinner costed close to S$400!! No doubt it was a great 2.5 hour long dining experience, truly memorable and romantic, but definitely way too expensive. Of course I chided Mark for choosing such an expensive place, but I had to rein myself in because I didn't want to disappoint him or to appear to be ungrateful, especially since he made some effort to plan it and make it a surprise for me.

Anyway all in all, it's a nice place, especially for a guy to impress a girl.. great venue for proposals too. However I told Mark he could have saved the money and taken me somewhere cheaper since I am already his and there's no need to 'impress' anymore!

Actually I think I am pretty easy to please.. especially as I age. I have come to understand that the most expensive things may not be the best, and money cannot get you everything you want. One can also find joy in simple things too... I no longer desire material goods the way I did before, and the joy I have nowadays are derived from regular things like swimming, reading by the poolside, barbequing with a small group of close friends, spending time in bed watching TV with Mark (and fighting over the remote control) and most importantly, writing.

What touched me even more than last night's dinner was actually the card Mark gave me. He didn't actually write the words, but I was touched that he made the effort to find such a meaningful card. (Damn... those writers at Hallmark are real good...)


When things are changing all around us,
And the world seems to move too fast,
Don't forget I'll be right beside you,
Loving you.
What I feel for you is deep, total and enduring,
A love you can count on without ever having to wonder.
So when you look ahead to the future or look back at how things used to be,
Don't forget to look beside you,
Because that's where you will find me,
Loving you with all my heart.


Thanks darling, for the wonderful evening, the card and most of all, your company and your love.

No comments: