Saturday, October 3, 2009

Countdown to Chloe's EDD --- 11 Days to go (中秋節) - Part I


Mark and I will be attending a friend's wedding luncheon at Sheraton Towers. Don't think I'll eat much though because today is Mid-Autumn Festival i.e the 15th day of the 8th lunar month and I go vegetarian on the 1st and 15th day of every lunar month. Don't know exactly why I decided to do this, but I have done it for the past 3 months so well, I will just continue with it.

The Mid Autumn Festival is also known as the Mooncake Festival and Lantern Festival. There are many ways to call it in English but only one way in Chinese i.e. 中秋節. Strange huh?!! The moon on the night of the Mid-Autumn Festival is believed to be the brightest, fullest and most brilliant and as the Chinese also regard the full moon as a symbol of family reunion, it's also a day where families get together.

In my perfect world, Mark and I would be taking Lucas out for a walk this evening with his very first lantern. His lantern would be the traditional kind that's made from colourful cellophane, not the modern battery operated ones with scary music as I find that they just don't have the right 'feel' to it. I would be waddling contentedly along behind Lucas and his daddy with my heavily pregnant belly, eagerly anticipating the birth of Chloe.

Sadly, this picture perfect scene takes place only in my mind. The likelihood is that it'd just be Mark and I going for after dinner drinks at Mt Faber... basking under the pale hue of the lonely moon, searching fruitlessly for the answer as to why on the last 中秋節, we didn't get our baby but we had 1 angel, and on this 中秋節 we are still without a baby but we have 2 angels now. Can we please have one healthy baby the next 中秋節?

On this Mid-Autum Festival (and all the others to come), I will look at the full moon and think of my 2 angels; wistfully dreaming of our reunion.

宝宝, 中秋節快乐.

No comments: