Friday, November 13, 2009

Oops, I Did It Again...


I woke up at 5-ish this morning and couldn't go back to sleep, so I just laid there and let my thoughts wander. I have learnt that the mind does really strange things to you at weird hours... While I was lying there, I was suddenly very inspired to make a bed for Hershey (nope, I am not mad - yet) cos I saw her lying on the bare parquet floor and felt sorry for her. I have banished her from the bed because it is shedding season again and I HATE to have her fur all over the bed/ quilt. More accurately, I HATE to have her fur everywhere and anywhere.

She had always been sharing the bed with us and had her very own favourite spot. We didn't put her there... she picked that spot herself cos that's exactly where the air-conditioner is blowing!! However, she's not Huskee's size, so sharing the bed with her means I have to position myself like a shrimp in order to accommodate her. Hence I think letting her have her own bed is the best solution for all parties concerned.

The more I thought about it, the more convinced I was that it is the right thing to do. I even started designing it in my mind. Fully convinced by myself, I jumped out of bed at the ungodly hour and went to the storeroom to rummage for a piece of shiny pink cloth that I knew I had stashed away in a box. It was the remnants of a failed project which I had embarked on when I tried to make 'something' for my wedding 3 years ago. I shall not elaborate on that 'something' cos it is kind of embarassing.

Found the cloth, ironed it (there were 3 years worth of creases), measured it, cut it to the size I wanted and sat down to work in earnest at 6am. I trimmed off the edges and the funny, dangly bits and started to sew. I don't have a sewing machine at home cos I never thought I'd ever want to see another one in my lifetime after Home Economics lessons were over and done with in Secondary 2. So it was down to manual stitching and there was quite a bit to sew cos Hershey's not exactly a midget and I wanted her to have a comfy bed (so that she'd leave mine alone!!)...

I lost count of the number of times that I got pricked by the needle but I was still gung-ho about it. I used double layers and even double stitched everything, especially the corners, to make it more secure since it's for a dog and they aren't exactly going to be gentle with things. Just as I was begining to feel quite proud of my handiwork, disaster struck. I guess I clean forgot why the first project that I embarked on with that same piece of cloth failed so miserably 3 years ago.

That stupid cloth is made from I-don't-know-what stupid material but what I know is that it F.R.A.Y.S big time!! My masterpiece was literally disintegrating in my hands!! All my hard work was unraveling right before my eyes.

At 8.30am, I solemly declare that the project had FAILED (again).

**** Photos were taken before I realized that the project was going to be a flop****

No comments: