Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Cord


I read this poem on a pregnancy loss support website. Clearly it is not referring to the umbilical cord that links mother and child. I too, have felt this 'invisible cord' between both my babies and me, right from the very moment that the first pregnancy kit showed a positive result. I loved them right from that moment on, and I had my hopes, dreams and future planned for them once I knew of their existence.

Mark had asked me before if we do get pregnant for the third time, would it be possible for me to try not to bond with this baby until we physically hold him/ her in our arms. I guess he was trying to protect me from more heartache and pain should it go awry again. I told him I'd try, but I don't know if this is even possible because I guess for most to-be moms, it'd be almost natural and instinctive to want to love and protect that little life growing in you from the moment you know it is there.

** Lucas and Chloe, not one day goes by where I don't think about you; and not a minute goes by where my heart doesn't long for you. Mummy is missing you, my sweet Angels.


The Cord


We are connected,
My babies and I,
By an invisible cord
Not seen by the eye.

It is not like the cord
That connects us till birth
This cord can't been seen
By any on Earth.

This cord does its work
Right from the start.
It binds us together
Attached to my heart.

I know that it is there
Though no one can see
The invisible cord
From my babies to me.

The strength of this cord
Is hard to describe.
It can't be destroyed
It can't be denied.

It's stronger than any cord
Man could create
It withstands the test
It can hold any weight.

And though you are gone,
Though you are not here with me,
The cord is still there
But no one can see.

It pulls at my heart
I am bruised...I am sore,
But this cord is my lifeline
As never before.

I am thankful that the cord connects us this way
The bond between a mother and her child
That death can't take it away


Author Unknown



No comments: