Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Do You Believe in Guardian Angels?


This is one long overdue post that I had been meaning to write about but had been sitting on it cos it is a rather long story.

Encounter 1
Mark took me on a cruise vacation in July 2009, hoping to help me relax and take my mind off things. On the day that we boarded the boat, we had an encounter that I have not shared with anyone until this day.

Right before going on the trip, I finished reading a book on ‘Angels’… It is called ‘Signs from Above’ by Doreen Virtue. The author said that each of us have at least 1 or 2 guardian angels by our side since the moment we are born. All we need is to learn to ask for their help… and if we are doubtful of their existence, we can ask them for a sign (or two) to show that they indeed exist. I shared this with Mark and we playfully asked for a ‘sign’ from our guardian angels… both of us are always cynical about anything that is spiritual/ supernatural… basically we like to only believe in tangible things that we can see.

We boarded the boat and immediately went to the cabin to leave our baggage… then we walked around to check out all the other facilities and outlets (even though we have been on the same boat before and nothing much has changed!!). After all the nosey-ing around was done, we went back to the lobby area to have a drink. There was a live band playing and we sat down to listen with our champagne in hand. I then commented to Mark something about ‘wouldn’t it be nice if they played/sang Lucas’ song (Can’t Cry Hard Enough) and/ or Chloe’s song (Love Me)’… then we laughed off how impossible it’d be for them to pick those 2 songs to sing out of all the songs in the world. Moreover, I am sure they would want to sing light-hearted, cheery songs, not songs about death/ separation.

After singing 2 or 3 songs, I then heard the familiar tune of ‘Can’t Cry Hard Enough’… Yes, they were singing my little boy’s song!!! Mark even recorded it on his video-cam (it is the very same one that he bought because he wanted to use it to record Chloe’s birth) and I cried through the entire song… and I was in awe, incredulous and astonished by the sheer coincidence.

After that song ended, we went to make dinner reservations at the Japanese restaurant just off the lobby. Once we have confirmed the reservation and were going to walk back to our cabin, my heart almost stopped because there it was… the familiar strains to Chloe’s song, ‘Love Me’. Mark and I stared at each other, totally stunned and not sure what to say. He recorded it on the video-cam again while I literally clung onto him for support and wept through the entire song (again). If there was anyone watching me, I am sure they think my screws are loose...

I mean what are the chances of something like this happening?? If it was only 1 song, I could say that it was ‘sheer coincidence’, but they sang BOTH my songs!! Out of all the songs they could have sung, they chose my babies’ songs… and they sang it during the exact period that we were there so that we wouldn’t miss it. I am not sure if this was a response to the ‘sign’ that we asked for… but Mark told me that it was a sign that our babies were right there with us on that day, at that moment, on that boat.


Encounter 2
I had been complaining to Mark about the lack/ loss of ‘sparks’ in our relationship. Everything feels like a routine and we are taking each other for granted, he does not make my heart palpitate anymore, there is no element of surprise/novelty… the list goes on. I hope I am just going through a phase… I feel sorry for that poor man sometimes, but I can’t help feeling that way.

So after dinner one Saturday night in September, he decided to do something out of the norm and took me to Mt Faber for drinks. It’s not something that we have done before and I liked the place… it was a cool, breezy night with a beautiful full moon and there was a live band too.

Again, I asked Mark what would be the chances that they’d sing Lucas and/ or Chloe’s songs and he replied that it’d be unlikely and moreover, the songs that they were sang were quite jazzy…

Someone in the restaurant then made a song request and would you believe me if I said it was Chloe’s song - ‘Love Me’?? I was flabbergasted… Mark was too. Again, I cried through the whole song and Mark’s eyes were red too. Thankfully we sat outdoors and it was pretty dark so no one saw us. I honestly, really, genuinely, truly felt that my Chloe was there and that’s her sign to let us know.

That was the ONLY song request that was made that night… sometimes it’s hard to believe in ‘sheer coincidence’ anymore. I am really beginning to believe that there are ‘higher forces’ out there.


** And to my Guardian Angel/ Angels if you are reading this, please love and protect my Lucas and Chloe until I reunited with them. Oh and if it's not too much to ask, I'd like to have a live, healthy baby for my next pregnancy cos I already have 2 Angels.

No comments: