Wednesday, June 1, 2011


This is what I brought back from my appointment with the endocrinologist AND dietician yesterday. For random days over the next two weeks, I will have to watch my diet very closely as well as take my own blood in order to keep track of my glucose level before and after each meal. This adds up to 7 times a day... Breakfast (before and after), lunch (before and after), dinner (before and after) and supper.




This booklet was given to me by the dietician... The main thing that I have to monitor very carefully is my carbohydrate intake per meal. The booklet charts common daily carb food (rice, pasta, porridge, noodles, cereal, etc) by units. I am supposed to have between 3 to 4 units of carb intake with each meal, and because I am pregnant, I need a minimum of 2 units of carb per meal for the baby's development.


Other than carb, the booklet also lets me know how much fruits I can (or cannot) eat, and which fruits are my 'friends' and which ones are my 'foes'.. unfortunately, the fruits that I should avoid are all my favourites.. i.e. durians, bananas, mangoes.



Last but not least, it is the glucose monitoring kit which is on loan from the hospital. I took my pre meal reading before breakfast and it was 5.7. It's not ideal because it should be anything between 4.4 to 5.5, and considering the fact that I haven't eaten anything since 9pm last night, this is rather high. I had 2 slices of wholemeal bread with egg and ham for breakfast and then took the post meal reading 2 hours later. The reading was 6.0. I'm pretty happy with it because the score should be anything between 5.5 to 6.6.




No comments: