Thursday, June 23, 2011


I do have a habit of weighing myself the first thing in the morning right after I brush my teeth, but for some reason, I hadn't done so for the last 3 or 4 days. This morning when I weighed myself, my weight had dropped to 59.8kg. I recall the last time I weighed myself using the scale at home (sometime over the weekend), I was 60.4kg. For some reason, my weight is slightly higher (about 800g to 1kg) using the scales at the hospital, so I try and stay consistent by sticking to one scale.

I wonder what is causing the weight loss... it is rather unsettling because I am worried that lif little bun is not getting enough nutrients. I am guessing that the weight loss could be due to my recent change in diet ever since I have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Nowadays, I have started eating healthy and to consciously monitor my intake
carbohydates and limit the amount per meal. I am also replacing a lot of my regular meals with leafy vegetables, (approved) fruits and soupy stuff. My in-between meal snacks have changed from potato chips/white bread with fruit jam to boring wholemeal bread with cheese and digestive biscuits.

Mark has also been very good (too good, in fact) at policing what I eat.. to the extent that I feel like punching him a number of times. He doesn't want me to eat any carbohydrate laden food, so I try to replace it with salads. However, he is also not supportive of me eating salads because it is raw and he is worried about e-coli (especially after the recent scare in Germany). Also, the Chinese believe that pregnant women should not eat too much raw vegetables as it is 'cooling' to the body (a pregnant lady needs to maintain a 'heaty' body). I also have to keep reminding Mark that I need at least 2 units of carbohydrate per meal (or 6-8 units daily) because I am pregnant and the developing baby needs the carb. Hence, I am allowed to eat some rice/ pasta/noodles and not banish it totally from my diet. Additionally, I was advised to take at least 2 portions of fruits per day, but my sweet hubby nags at me when he sees me munching on fruits because he says they are too sweet. Hmmmph...

It's weird how the more you are not allowed to have something, the more you yearn/ crave for it. Right now, I am so desperately craving for a bowl of clam chowder, a large plate of gnocchi pasta bathed in marina sauce, and then finish it off with durians... but I will behave and be good for the sake of my little bun.

No comments: