Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Scan + IVIG (#4)


Yesterday's hectic schedule totally knocked me off my feet... I can't even remember the last time I left the house in the morning and returned after sundown after I quitted my job. I think even Hershey was pissed that she was left alone at home for so many hours!! Mark picked me up from the hospital after work and by the time we reached home, it was already past 7pm. Showered, had dinner, watched a bit of telly, chatted with Mark about the day's happenings and promptly fell asleep. I didn't even wake up for my usual pee break in the middle of the night. I slept soundly through all the way till ummm... 11am.

Unfortunately, I woke up with a ache on my head/neck/shoulders. I reckon it must be from yesterday's IVIG (noticed that this is the 'side effect' that I get the day after the infusion). Nothing that a panadol (or 2) won't cure. **I just received a call from the Staff Nurse (the one from the IVIG infusion centre who bought me lunch previously). She said that the haematology doctor asked her how my scan with little bun went and the Staff Nurse decided to call me to check!! She sounded happy and relieved when I told her that it went well. I am so touched by this little gesture where these medical professionals remember me amidst their busy schedule. Makes me feel so loved and cared for...(oh and the Staff Nurse is guessing that I am expecting a boy bun. Seems like the votes for a boy bun are growing!!).**

I had to wait for over an hour for my turn for the scan. It was a totally nerve wrecking 60 minutes and I couldn't even compose myself enough to read the magazine that I had with me. I just sat there and fidgeted non-stop. Not sure if it is because little bun felt my uneasiness cos he/she was moving A LOT during that time. I could feel some serious movements from little bun when I laid my palm over my belly. It was somewhat of an assurance to me... like he/she is saying "Hi mummy.. I am here with you and I am fine".

It is so amazing how detailed these scans are nowadays. I got a rather clear picture of little bun's side profile (from the looks of it, little bun has got daddy's nose!). The sonographer explained to me each step along the way and described to me each part she was examining while she was taking measurements... I saw little bun's heart, kidneys (at least that's what the sonographer said it was cos I honestly couldn't tell), brain, stomach, skull, spine, facial features (the odds of cleft lip is low), extremities, etc. According to the report that was handed to Dr Anu, little bun's measurements are all within the normal range and it is aligned with little bun's gestational age (Thank you, God!). Dr Anu is pleased that little bun isn't too big (it is common for women with gestational diabetes to have big babies, and this can result in complications for both mother and child during labour).

Since it's already been a month after my last swab test, we did a swab test yesterday and Dr Anu said she'd call me with the results today. I am rather anxious while waiting for her call because Dr Anu said she had noticed some discharge while taking the swab. While it could be totally normal, it could also be an indication of an infection (Ahhhh..... Nooooooooo.....).

After yesterday's appointment, Dr Anu will be going away for the next 3 weeks and I will be seeing her colleague until she returns in the 3rd week of July. Although Dr Anu assured me that she'd already briefed her colleague about my case, I can't deny that I am not worried about seeing another doctor. Seeing Dr Anu weekly has somehow already become a 'comfort blanket' for me, and I have 100% trust in her that she'd do whatever is best for me and little bun.

Anyway, I really hope things will continue to be smooth for at least the next 2-3 months. That's the time that I need for little bun to have a fighting chance at survival outside of my womb. Each little step/test that little bun and I pass is a blessing, so I am very grateful that yesterday's scan results were good.

No comments: