Saturday, July 23, 2011


The checkup didn't go as well as I'd have wanted it to. Over the course of the week, the length of my cervix had shortened by over 1cm. While 1cm may seem insignificant, it represents 24%. Just a week ago, it was around 4.3cm.. this week it only measure in at around 3.3cm. Ideally, anything over 2.5cm is still acceptable, but since little bun is still quite a long way off from being full term, I'd really have preferred if the length remained above 4cm for as long as possible (usually if the cervix gets too short, it is an indication of pre-term labour).

Dr Anu didn't seem overly worried at this stage but said that we'd have to continue to closely monitor the length for any signs of further (God forbid!!) shortening. The length of the cervix may 'fluctuate' during pregnancy, so there's still hope that it'd maintain at the current lenth or hopefully lengthen until little bun reaches full term.

I have been reading up on this topic (naturally!!) and seems like the only thing which may help is bedrest This is more of a common sense thing than a medical thing cos lying down alleviates gravitational pressure from the cervix. While I have not reached the 'critical' stage and the doctor hasn't ordered strict bedrest for me, I am determined to spend the whole of next week in bed as much as possible. Hopefully when time comes for the scan next Friday, the length will maintain/improve.

That said, little bun's development is thankfully still on track. I got a lovely scanned picture of his/her left profile and in my own very biased opinion, my baby is so cute!!! From the picture, I can confirm now that little bun definitely has Mark's nose, this was concurred by Dr Anu and her nurse (it's a good thing cos Mark's nose has a higher bridge than mine).

For now, I am still working hard to keep the faith and pray for the best. Please, please, please let things go smoothly.

No comments: