Friday, May 6, 2011


This is a rather overdue update on little bun since I had my appointment with Dr Anu last Tuesday. His/ her development is on track so far (Thank you, God) and is measuring a little over 3 inches. I also had a scan to measure my cervical length... this is something that I will have to go through on a weekly basis to ensure that it doesn't show any signs of weakening (i.e shortening and/ or funneling). If it shortens and/ or funnels (**knock on wood**), it'd very likely lead to preterm labour and the only remedy would be to put in the cervical clerage that Dr Anu initially suggested.

As of last Tue, my cervical length was around 4.5cm (during pregnancy, the length of the cervix should be between 2.5cm to 5cm, anything over 3cm is ideal). Praying that my cervix will stay at closed at this length for as long as possible.

Another factor which is just as important as the length of my cervix, or possibly the most important factor in my case is the condition of my waterbag. In the cases of Lucas and Chloe, it was Preterm Premature Rupture of Membranes (PPROM) that was the culprit that caused both miscarriages. Frankly, till today, no cause has been found. Unfortunately I fall into the 'unknown cause' category. Both times, the waterbag just leaked unexpectedly... there were no signs, no warning... Frankly, this is my key fear/ concern because there is no way to check on the condition of the waterbag; there is no way to prevent it from leaking prematurely; there is no way to salvage it once it leaks... IF there is something I can do to prevent PPROM, I will do it without second thought.

I can only pray that my waterbag will stay intact until I am at least 30 weeks. In all honesty, I am not even trying to aim for a full term (38-40 weeks) pregnancy. With my track record, that'd be a fantasy come true if it does really happen... At 30 weeks, the baby will still be very premature, but at least mortality rate is low and the risk of disability is very much reduced.

No comments: