Monday, January 17, 2011


We made a rather last minute decision to visit Mark's family yesterday. Initially we didn't plan to go back until Chinese New Year, but as we've bought some new clothes for Mark's parents for the new year, as well as the usual new year food items (i.e. fish maw, abalone) for Mark's grandmother, we decided to go back earlier so that we can bring it back to them.

Our sis-in-law should be due anytime now... she is reaching her 38th week but her tummy still looks very 'compact' and under baggy clothes, it's hard to see that she's reaching the final stages of pregnancy. I guess it's because her build is slim and petite, so her baby bump is following suit.

Actually I am rather excited to meet my new niece, but at the same time, I feel rather sorry for her too because I learnt from my mom-in-law that they only bought ONE new piece of clothing for the baby. This is because there's been a constant succession of babies within Mark's family in recent years, so there are a lot of hand-me-downs. However, all the babies that arrived prior to this are boys, so this poor little girl will be stuck with blue (second/ third hand) clothes and second (possibly third or even fourth hand) baby cot/ stroller/ bassinet. (There's not much my sis-in-law can do to improve or change anything because she is a foreigner in a new country; a new bride; a newcomer in a large household; a new mother and a new daughter-in-law all in a very short space of time. I do feel a tad sorry for her too because I am sure for any first time mother, in excitement of expecting your firstborn, you'd want to give her the best of everything within your means.)

In Mark's family, babies come rather easily (and frequently), so there's not much of a 'big deal' when a new one arrives into the family... Maybe that's why there isn't much ado or fanfare in welcoming this new arrival. I have decided to take things into my own hands and get her some brand new pink necessities (clothing, booties, mittens, towels) and possibly a toy or two... well, Pink is my favourite color after all. Mark's brother (i.e the father-to-be) is so laidback that he hasn't even thought of possible names for his daughter, so we spent quite some time yesterday shortlisting a couple of names. According to my sis-in-law, she 'complained' to me that he doesn't even know which hospital she is going to and which doctor she's seeing.

The contrast is so stark... IF this was my baby, I am sure Mark and I would already have a selection of names ready and the nursery would have already been done up with piles of baby necessities, clothes, toys, etc on 'stand-by'. I guess when something comes easily to you, you tend not to treasure it as much or it wouldn't seem as precious... On the contrary, if this is somthing that you want dearly and fought tooth and nail to get, you'd treat it like a previous gem.

Sigh... such is life... ironic and so very cruel. It mocks you in the face without an ounce of sympathy.

No comments: