Thursday, January 13, 2011



In the supplementarty edition of today's newspaper, there was a write-up on ectopic pregnancies and the doctor whom I usually see was interviewed. For my last pregnancy, this was one of the 2 suspected causes of its failure. Dr Anu wasn't able to locate any gestational sac in my uterus at 5 plus weeks, which should normally be detectable at that stage. At the same time, she didn't locate them it in my fallopian tubes too... basically I had a 'missing gestational sac'. Unlike with my other 2 pregnancies, we were able to see the sac at about 5 weeks and the heartbeat around 8 weeks.

The other suspected cause for the failure of that pregnancy was simply because something happened during the mitosis process where the cells doubles by dividing into two cells. This two-week stage (germinal period of development) covers the time of conception to the implantation of the embryo in the uterus... this would probably account for my increased HCG levels but inability to locate the sac anywhere because the zygote failed to develop properly into a embroyo which would then be implanted in my uterus.

I still find it very hard to comprehend why so many women can conceive and subsequently deliver a healthy baby without batting an eyelid, whereas I struggle so hard to conceive, and whether or not my pregancy can last the entire 40 weeks is a big question in itself. I am begining to see myself as a textbook case of what you don't want to happen to you when you are trying to conceive and/ or are pregnant. Somewhat like a freak of nature.








No comments: