Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Desperate Times; Desperate Measures --> Acupuncture


Monday morning, I made a spur of the moment decision to go back and see the TCM practitioner whom I last saw a year ago. I stopped seeing him last year because of my crazy work and travelling schedule. His clinic is always packed to the rafters after office hours and on weekends. The waiting, consultation and treatment (acupuncture) time can take also take quite a while, so it was impossible for me to sneak there during working hours.

Now that I am not working, I can go and see him on weekdays during work hours where the wait is considerably shorter. I have also been reading up on the link between TCM and fertility and it seems that even Western doctors believe that TCM does assist with some aspects of fertility, particularly in increasing the endometrium lining (ET), which is one of the areas of challenge for me. Ideally, for conception to take place and for the pregnancy to be sustainable, ET should be around 11mm or more (especially for patients undergoing fertility treatments), however, my ET during the last 3 cycles only ranged around 8mm-9mm, which is rather low considering all the fertility drugs I have consumed and injected into my body.

Some Western doctors have recommend for their patients to use TCM prior to attempting IVF and even concurrently while undergoing IVF procedures. I know of some hospitals in Singapore who employ both Western and traditional Chinese treatment for couples undergoing fertility procedures. For me, desperate times call for desperate measures... Before I go back to see Dr Anu (my Western doctor), I thought it'd also be good to give TCM another go since the nurse in Dr Anu's clinic did ask me to try out acupuncture previously because it'd help to increase my ET.

I had my first consultation and acupuncture session yesterday afternoon and the acupuncture points were at the ears, ankles and abdomen area. I was nursing a super bad migraine attack before I went and was almost tempted to postpone the appointment to another day... painkillers were of no use to me at all. However, after the acupuncture session and a 3 minute neck rub by the TCM practitioner, my 2 day old migraine miraculously began to subside on the spot and it went away totally within 30 minutes, without any medication at all!! This is the first time in my life that a bad migraine had gone off so quickly. I even managed to go for a swim once I got home. Ahhh.. magic!!! Hope this man can work the same magic with my fertility problems too.

No comments: