Tuesday, January 18, 2011



This article was on the front page of today's newspaper... It seems that Singapore's fertility rate was at an all time low last year at 1.16, compared with the rate of 1.22 the year before. However, these rates are well below the required rate of 2.1, which is needed for the population to 'replenish' itself.

I am one of the 'guilty' ones for not contributing to our population growth... but it's not that I didn't try hard enough. Instead of contributing to the fertility rate, I have instead contributed to the mortality rate.

************************************************

Dear Mr Deputy Prime Minister of Singapore,

I am sorry I have not done my part in contributing to Singapore's fertility rate, thereby indirectly resulting in the need for the government to bring in more foreigners. However, I assure you that it is certainly not from the lack of trying. In fact, I have been trying for the past 3 years to add a new Singapore citizen to our population. I will continue to strive until I achieve my aim (or until the doctors deem that I am too old or too hopeless).

It'd be really helpful though, if subsidies for assisted reproduction procedures can be improved/ increased from what is currently in place. The current setup only allows for the withdrawal of S$6,000, S$5,000 and S$4,000 for the first, second and third treatment cycles respectively. All remaining balance for these 3 cycles will have to be topped up in cash, and after the third treatment cycle, full expenses will have to be borne by the couple in cash. Each cycle can easily cost from S$10,000 up to S$15,000.

So how about allowing us to use a fixed percentage of what we have in our Medisave account instead of the fixed amount? This will enable people who have more money tied in their Medisave to choose to use it for fertility procedures if they so desire. I have a fairly sizeable amount in my Medisave which I'd love to be able to use for fertility procedures. I'd like to use it to pro-create rather than have it just 'locked' there until retirement age. This will allow some couples (like us) to have the opportunity to go for more treatment cycles should they be unsuccessful in the earlier cycles, or if they intend to add more to their brood later on.

I am confident this will have an impact in driving up our decreasing fertilty rate.


Faithfully yours,
A woman who is trying to do her part to increase Singapore's fertility rate

No comments: