Wednesday, March 23, 2011



I have been nursing a cold for the past 2 days... The strange thing is although I am not taking any medication for my cold, I have been feeling very lethargic, light-headed and drowsy.

During my previous appointment with Dr Anu, she consulted the haematologist and they decided to go ahead and put me on injectable heparin, which Mark had been injecting into my thigh for the past week. This injection is REALLY painful, mainly because there are muscles in the thigh, and the needle, although short, is very thick. To top it all off, there is an awful burning sensation when the medication is being injected, and according to the pharmacist, we must inject it s.l.o.w.l.y or else the medication will flow back out. This is akin to prolonging my agony.

This is how my thigh looked like after 5 days of injection... it is clear where the needle has gone in, and as this is a blood thinner, the bruising is horrible. The ones with the larger areas of bruising are the earlier ones, and the ones with one big reddish dot are more recent.

Right thigh


Left thigh


Although I wasn't due to see Dr Anu until Friday the 25th, Dr Anu made a special arrangement to see me yesterday afternoon because I had a little bit of spotting on Monday. We have been warned that this is a possible side effect of the heparin, and I should contact Dr Anu if it happens. As Mark was at work, I had to go alone. The time I spent waiting for Dr Anu was agonising, but my Dr Tan made a surprise appearance at the clinic, so it was a welcome distraction!!

After seeing my Heartthrob #1 (aka Dr Tan), I was even more pleased and extremely relieved to see my little Heartthrob #2. It's grown to double it's size since a week ago and the development is right on track. It's going to be a long time till my next appointment to see Dr Anu because she will be going away for a meeting. **sigh**


1 comment:

mintyvintage said...

Hi, I'm Valerie and I was very touched and saddened reading your blog. You remind me that we shouldn't take anything in life pefor granted and I truly wish you the best in your journey. Hopefully when I visit your blog again you will be strong, healthy and happy. Most of all, be blessed with what you want so much.
Take care. :)