Sunday, August 7, 2011

Cervical Cerclage


It's finally home sweet home on Friday... instead of the inital 2 night stay, Dr Anu decided to keep me in hospital for an extra night so that they can observe me. Hence, I spent a total of 3 nights in hospital. Thankfully I had a private room so Mark was able to stay overnight with me. Getting a proper night of sleep is rather impossible during those 3 nights in hospital because throughout the night, the nurses would be coming to check on my temperature, blood pressure, little bun's heart rate and/or give me my medication.

According to Dr Anu, the surgery went smoothly. The after effects that I suffered from post surgery was a bad case of sore throat (from the insertion of the breathing tube down my throat while I was under GA for the duration of the surgery), uterine cramping (which is to be expected after such a procedure), horrid headache (side effect of the medication that was given to me to control the uterine cramps), nausea... Ummm, yup, I think that's about all.

I was most nervous about the cramps because it could've triggered premature labour, and it also reminded me so much of the labour pains I went through when I delivered Chloe. I tried to downplay the magnitude of the pain so that I wouldn't worry Mark too much (according to Dr Anu, she whispered to me that 'Mark looks rather shaken'), so I didn't want to add on to his stress. Thankfully with the help of the constant dose of drugs for the inital 36 hour period, the cramps eventually subsided (though I am still continuing to take them as a preventive measure).

There was an incident that really touched me a whole lot. It reaffirmed once again how blessed I am to have a partner like Mark by my side. The drugs that I took gave me a massive headache and terrible nausea.. I was trying to hold my dinner down when they decided to defy gravity and all of it came back up. There was no way I could get out of bed to go to the bathroom since it was only hours after the surgery, so Mark grabbed a dish that was provided (for this purpose I reckon??) and held it for me while I regurgitated my dinner. Unfortunately, the dish was ummm... too small (or my dinner was too big?) and some of it spilled over. I created a gross, revolting mess and some of it even landed on Mark. He just held onto the dish stoically without fliching and comforted me while I continued to contribute to the mess. Even after the nurse and cleaner came in to help out, Mark was the one cleaning me up. Frankly I don't know what I'd have done if I were in Mark's shoes cos vomit (whether it belongs to me or another person) and me don't go very well together (the same goes with blood). I'd have expected Mark to 'flee the scene' and call for the nurses.

I think I can safely say that by now, Mark has seen the most beautiful as well as the ugliest side of me.. I am sure a woman who is vomiting and writhing in pain at the same time with a red face and tears rolling down her cheeks is not a glorious sight to behold.

So glad to be home, and even more glad that the surgery went smoothly. Every extra day that little bun stays inside me is so crucial... as Dr Anu puts it, every extra day that little bun remains in my womb is one day less in the Neonatal ICU. I have been spending 95% of my time lying in bed and only getting up for meals, toilet breaks and shower. Mark has been extremely strict in ensuring that I behave and follow the rules. This is how I will be spending the next few weeks... the television and internet will be my constant companion.

No comments: