Sunday, September 18, 2011

'One Week Anniversary'


Yesterday marked my 'One Week Anniversary' in hospital. Mark and I allowed ourselves a tiny bit of satisfaction that we've made it through one more crucial week. For the record, I have been lying in this same bed for over a week and this is the longest time my feet haven't touched solid ground! What do I miss the most? The bathroom. Plus a long, hot shower and a good hairwash.

This past week hasn't been without a few close shaves when my contractions were consistent and intensified. At the peak, I think I had 1 contraction every 2-3 minutes!! I have been on this drug 'Salbutamol' for 1 week and 1 day now... I'm so dependent it to control my contractions that I wouldn't know what I'd do without it. I've joked to the nurses that it is my new 'best friend'. Hoping that my body won't become 'immune' to it cos the dosage seems to be getting higher.. Totally opposite of what the doctors had initially hoped to achieve i.e. to take off the drug or at least keep it low.

Mark and I are uber thankful that little bun still seems to be thriving and seemingly unaffected by what is happening 'outside'. The heartbeat is strong and I've been feeling a lot of movements from my precious bub. Some of these movements made me giggle cos it feels ticklish while others made me grimace in pain (like when little bun's legs are resting/kicking on my left rib cage.. This happens rather frequently!!). Whatever the case is, I'm happy that he/she is thriving. I'd rather little bun stays 'in' and continues to grow and put on weight inside my womb and let mummy go through all the physical pain than for him/her to be born and then have to be hooked up to tubes and monitors.

This morning the nurse was chatting with me and told me that another lady in the ward just delivered a 24week old baby during the wee hours. The parents opted to resuscitate the baby, who is now in NICU, but the condition is bleak. It's so heartbreaking and I feel for the parents and their little baby. It reminds me so much of my sweet Chloe, whom I lost also at 24weeks. Can't help but ask myself WHY do such things happen?!! No parent deserves to go through the pain of losing their child, regardless of the child's age!!

No comments: