Sunday, May 30, 2010


I still cannot understand it even after I'd slept on it for one night. When Mark and I were out yesterday doing our part for the Singapore economy (not that it needs our help), I was approached by a young male promoter. He started going on and on about the benefits of the pot he was promoting and the current promotion that's going on during the Great Singapore Sale season. Not that I was interested in the pot, but this guy was standing in the path between me and the thing (cushion covers) I wanted to look at.

After talking without pause for a good 30 seconds, he finally stopped to ask me 'Are you Singapore citizen?' (apparently a pre-requisite if you are to qualify for the promotion). I nodded and started to move away, then came question number 2 - 'Are you married'... it puzzled me cos what's the connection of my marital status with a pot? Again I nodded just so I could move closer to my 'target'. As I started to walk away, he asked me the question number 3 - 'Do you have kids under the age of 18?'. This made me stop in my tracks and momentarily forget about my cushion covers.

I replied him 'Sadly, not yet'... and the (over) enthusiastic young man continued to yak on in his by now very irritating chirpy voice 'Oh, don't worry, you can share this promotion with your friends who have kids under 18 then'. I was slightly annoyed by then and so wanted to tell him that I don't use the particular brand of pots that he's promoting anyway cos I only use an imported German brand. This stupid pot got me hot under the collar (does this make it a 'hotpot'??). Eventually I bit my tongue eventually cos he's just a young chap doing his stuff and probably earning some holiday money. I think age is mellowing me down...

Can anyone shed any light on why this pot promotion is only for people with kids under 18? Did some survey conclude that women in this group cook more? Is this a 'special' pot that can only be used by mothers to cook for their children?? Don't unmarried people or married people without kids use pots too?? Don't the non-citizens of Singapore use pots?? In case the organizers of this promotion didn't do their homework, Singapore has more than 25.3% of non-citizens... it's huge market that they are missing out on if you ask me. The number of foreign nationals in Singapore is getting kind of 'in your face', especially a certain group of people from a certain country that Singapore likes to maintain a cordial relationship with. I risk making a sweeping statement, but people from this country generally talk too loud, spit on the ground, eat free fruits from supermarkets on the pretext of testing them and leave the seeds lying around (yuck!!), knock into you without a nary glance in your direction (forget about an apology)... my grouse list goes on, but this is a topic for another day.

Here's the offending voucher:


That last sentence 'as a token of appreciation in response to this advertisement' is stupid. Obviously ONLY the people in the specific demographics can respond to the advertisement cos it's made in such a way that ONLY they can participate!

Can't believe I let a pot get me so worked up... The worst thing that made me even madder is that I didn't get my cushion covers after that (cos the colors didn't match my bedroom wallpaper).

No comments: