Saturday, February 27, 2010


I received a overseas call last evening from the mother of our housemate who stayed together with us in Melbourne. Although we have all graduated and gone back to our respective countries (Hong Kong for him) years back, we have kept in contact with him and his parents. We got to meet/know his parents when they went to visit our housemate in Australia. They will stay with us for up to a month and during those times, his mom (who is a really good cook) would whip up delicious home-cooked dishes for us.

If Mark and I visit Hong Kong, we usually will go out for dinner with them, and each Christmas and Chinese New Year, I never fail to send them a greeting card the traditional way (aka via snail mail). When Mark and I got married, we invited them to our wedding, but although they couldn't attend due to work commitments, they gave us a big 'red packet'.

Auntie (that's what Mark and I call her) called to thank us for the card and just to see how we have been. The chat with her brought back fond memories of the days we spent in that apartment in Courtney Street. I also found out that her husband, whom we call 'Uncle' (obviously!!) had retired from his job last year. Uncle is a quiet, but learned and well-educated man who was the principal of a local high school for many years.

Subsequently, Auntie asked if there is any Mark or Shane juniors yet, and I had to tell her 'no' with a heavy heart. When I see her face to face one day, I definitely will tell her about my 2 Angels... I just didn't feel comfortable sharing this with her over the phone. I did tell her that we are trying and will share the good news with her if/ when we succeed.

Hopefully I will be making that call to Hong Kong soon to share with them the good news.

No comments: