Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Names.. Names... Names.... (Part III)


So how did Mark and I eventually decide and agree on the name for little bun (and no, it's not Lee-Tle-Bun as I had originally feared)? I have always liked the name 'Keiron' but didn't really fancy the meaning (it means 'little dark one'). One day while I was mindlessly searching through another long list of names (yup, I have gone through countless websites and have looked not just at English names, but also French, Welsh, Scottish, Hebrew, Japanese, Greek, Hindu, Latin... you name it, I have gone through it). I came across 'Kiran', which in Hindu and Sanskrit means 'a ray of light', and it has a variation - 'Kyran'. I liked it immediately since phonetically, it sounds exactly the same as 'Keiron' and also because of the following contributing factors:
  • Dr Anu is Indian and this is partly a 'tribute' to her. Without her help and dedication, Kyran wouldn't be here today.
  • The meaning of Kiran/Kyran i.e. 'ray of light', has an almost similar meaning to 'Lucas', which means 'light'. I like the idea that my 2 boys' names are somewhat linked.
  • Originally the date that we planned to deliver little bun was very close to the India festival Deepavali, popularly known as 'Festival of Lights'.
  • There is a 'money bag' i.e. 'y' in Kyran' (heehee...).

So, this is how we settled on 'Kyran'. Another name I like is 'Zachary' but Mark doesn't seem to fancy it much. He said it's a bit too biblical, which is precisely why I like it. The meaning of Zachary is 'God remembers', and in a way, it's rather fitting in our case. I am not religious.. possibly an atheist to a certain degree even, but strangely, I did feel very 'abandoned' by God when I lost Lucas and Chloe. The period when I had depression was also a long, dark and deserted journey. Now that we have been blessed with Kyran, it's a sign that God didn't forget about me like I had thought. I also like the short form of Zachary.. Zac sounds very macho, no??

Anyway, now that we have named little bun 'Kyran', I can't imagine him being named anything else. It seems to 'fit' him too, though he does have a couple of other nicknames. My mom calls him 'Kai Kai' (part of little bun's Chinese name). I call/refer to him as 'little bun' mostly and Mark has been calling him his 'champion' since the day little bun was born. Every evening after Mark returns home from work, the first thing he does (after washing his hands) is to come into little bun's room to check on him. I love hearing the pride and gentleness in Mark's voice when he asks little bun "Hey, so how's my champion doing today?".

No comments: