Thursday, November 17, 2011

Little Bun's 1st Phone Call


In the list of little bun's 'first things', this is one which I certainly didn't expect to come this early. Yesterday afternoon, I received a call asking to speak to Kyran.. Yes, my 3.5 weeks old son has someone calling to ask for him!! I didn't know how to react at all and just kept stupidly quiet (probably too stunned) until I heard peels of laughter on the line. The call was from the 2 nurses from the IVIG clinic and they were calling to see how I was doing and also check to see how little bun was. I thought it was really so sweet of them. They have been going above and beyond their duty as nurses and have been so thoughtful and kind to me/us! We chatted and I updated them on little bun's development... they also relayed a message from the haematology doctor (Dr Vasoo) that she wants to see little bun before she goes away on long leave until Jan 2012. The nurses reminded me that if I ever brought little bun for his next appointment with the pediatrician, I must bring him over to say 'hi' cos they want to see him.

Little bun is also one of Dr Vasoo's 'success stories' as much as he is Dr Anu's. IVIG is still a very new and groundbreaking treatment in Singapore, and its effectiveness is controversial, especially since its cost is so high. The hospital that I went to is one of the few (if not the only one) hospitals in Singapore that offers this treatment and doctors from other hospitals have been seeking treatment there too. Before the birth of little bun, I had also agreed to be participate in a research on this subject that Dr Vasoo is conducting by 'donating' my placenta for the study. Mark and I don't know if IVIG is what helped me carry little bun to full term, and no one, even the doctors, would ever be able to confirm it.

Mark puts it across in a way that I totally concur with... in our case, it is not the journey that matters but the end result i.e. it doesn't matter how we get there, but the crux is that at the end of the day, little bun is here with us. And in order to achieve this, we have A LOT of people to thank.

No comments: