Saturday, June 1, 2013

MAY-hem


Whoaaaaaa... I know I have not blogged for a while but at the back of my mind, I thought it was only 2 weeks or so.. I just realized my last post was dated 29 April! Can anyone tell me WHERE DID THE MONTH OF MAY GO???!!! In that last post, I wrote about going the passing of my grandmother-in-law. Little did I expect that I'd be attending yet another funeral in the family so soon. May lived up to its name and was indeed a month of mayhem!!

My younger cousin passed away on 17 May, one day before his father/ my uncle's birthday. My cousin is born with muscular dystrophy (hereditary) and it is a known and open fact that he wouldn't live past his 20s.. Well, he defied all odds and was 33 years old when he passed away. People said that we should have been mentally prepared this day would come sooner or later, but tell me, how can anyone 'prepare' for the death of someone you love??? My cousin went into hospital with heart palpitations and breathlessness, but otherwise fully conscious and joking about what to have for breakfast the next morning. He and his family fully expected that he'd be discharged in a day or two. But just as they were wheeling him to the ward, he passed away. How does one 'prepare' to watch the person you love slip away right before your eyes and there's nothing you can do? 

It was sombering to see someone who is just a couple of years younger lie in a coffin. It was even more sombering to see how grieved my uncle was. I cannot even fathom what was going through my uncle's mind when he saw his only child lying in a casket. Broke my heart to hear what my uncle said to his lifeless son moments before he was being cremated. Words that can only be uttered by a heartbroken parent. 

Parents outliving their child is just NOT the way life should be. 

By some twist of fate, out of all the halls available, my cousin was being cremated in the very same hall where we cremated Chloe. It brought back too much sad memories of that day in June 2009 and now I am adding on even more sad memories to that place. I miss my Chloe. 






No comments: