Thursday, July 22, 2010

Mimosa


Yesterday evening, I saw a father and son standing in the middle of a grass patch... The father was squatting next to his son, and they seem to be entranced by something on the ground. As the gap between us closed, I realized what they were doing. The father was showing his little boy the mimosa plant, and how the leaves fold up when touched. The little boy was poking his fingers at the plants and he laughed gleefully when the leaves closed up upon his touch.

Insignificant as this may seem, but this brought back memories of my own childhood when my dad 'introduced' me to the mimosa. Can't exactly remember where it was, but I am sure dad was the one who showed me how 'fun' it was to 'play' with this plant (some people may refer it as a weed). Now that I am (a lot) older, I still find myself unconsciously touching the mimosa with my fingers or toes whenever I see them... I guess it is a part of my childhood, and an unique experience that I shared with dad. It is something that I'd probably have clean forgotten about if not for the chance encounter yesterday.

Then it got me wondering... Will I ever get the chance to do the same with my child?

No comments: