Sunday, January 10, 2010

'Be careful'


I was over at my parent's place last week and as I was leaving to go home, they did the usual thing, i.e. dad will open the door and gate for me and mom will be carrying Huskee. They will then stand at the doorway and wait together with me until the lift is here before they go back in. As I was on my way out of the door, mom reminded me to 'be careful'
(cos there are some major renovation/ upgrading works going on with the lifts, lift lobbies and common areas).

This simple 'be careful' evoked a lot of memories... When I was expecting Chloe, mom used to say (or nag?) this to me a lot, especially when I was visiting them because the renovations had already started in early 2009. It made total sense then cos I had a precious bounty growing inside my tummy. Damn.. can't believe the upgrading works is taking so long... it even outlasted my pregnancy.

I wanted to reply to mom that there is no need for me to 'be careful' now cos I have nothing to protect inside me... my tummy is empty. So even if I do fall, the only thing that's gonna hurt is my ample bottom (which'd probably cushion my fall anyway). But I just responded 'ok' and walked into the lift. Again, I can't help but be reminded that I have short-changed my parents of their grandchildren.

No comments: