Friday, January 20, 2012



Came aross an article yesterday that made me want to go back to the psychologists whom I saw when I was battling depression.. No, this time it's not because I am depressed, but because I want to tell them "See! I told you so!!".

At the time when I was battling depression, the psychologists whom I saw kept trying to encourage me to take antidepressants to control my mood swings. At that time, I knew I was a danger to myself if left to my own devices, but I was also clear-headed enough to turn down their offer of antidepressants because I was trying to conceive and didn't want to put any unnecessary drugs into my body. The doctors kept telling me that antidepressants will not have any adverse effect on conception and on pregnancy, but I felt strongly otherwise and stood my ground.

I think the doctors thought I was a pain because no amount of convincing could convince me otherwise. However, as it was my choice, there wasn't much they could do and thus, I was sent to see a counsellor instead.

I am not gloating, but I am so extremely glad that I trusted my instinct enough to say 'no' to them at that time. According to this recent report I read, a Swedish study found that antidepressants do HAVE adverse effects on infants (through the mother during pregnancy)!

No comments: