Monday, May 7, 2012

Liquid Gold --- Part 2


Anyway, I am very glad I invested the time and effort to investigate before I make any hasty decision due to peer pressure. I have gained a lot of insight into this breastmilk versus formula milk debate and while I don't think there is a 'right' or 'wrong' answer, I am consoled and convinced by the confirmation that exclusively breastfed babies tend to be leaner than their formula fed counterparts. The knowledge that I have gained is too vast to be shared here but the below sites provide a very good summary.
I am glad what I have been doing for little bun hasn't been in vain. Giving him breastmilk when I am a full time stay at home mom is fine, but trying to keep it going when I start working hasn't been the easiest thing to do. Ever since I have started working 3 days a week, I continued to express my breastmilk every 4 hours in the office. It wasn't easy because there is no proper nursing room in my office and in the building, plus everyday I have to bring all the necessary equipment to and fro.. the pump, the parts, the ice packs, etc. For the first few days, I actually did it in the restroom but I didn't like the thought of germs in the air contaminating my precious milk! Subsequently, I found a spare room (with see through glass) where I could do it behind the safety and privacy of... **insert drumbroll**... an opened cupboard door which shielded me from the rest of the office which had a healthy male population. It was rather awkward initially but I have since gotten used to it (and so have all my colleagues). They stopped asking me why I was hiding behind the cupboard door twice a day.

My conclusion is, I will continue to give little bun breastmilk for as long as I can (crossing fingers for no long business trips) and as long as I am still able to churn it out. Research indicated that formula fed babies gain more weight because cows' milk are not as easily digested/ broken down by babies as compared to breastmilk, and are therefore stored in the body as fats. Breastmilk is still the best source of food for babies for the first 6 months of their lives, and even better if it can be given until they reach 1 year old (mixed with semi-solids of course). Yes, babies on breastmilk are leaner and not as chubby as formula fed babies, but so long as little bun is not underweight and is thriving well, I have fine with my 'skinny' baby.
That said, I am going to adopt a more relaxed approach... should my body call it quits and stop producing milk or when the day comes when I don't produce enough to feed my baby, I will not hesitate to switch over to formula milk - without feeling guilty.

No comments: