Monday, December 2, 2013


So much has happened in the past 2 weeks.. didn't even let me have a chance to sit down and catch my breath to think about all that has happened.


My father-in-law had been battling cancer for the past 18 months and his condition had taken a toll for the worse in the past 2 months. Mark and I made an urgent trip to Kuala Lumpur  (where he's staying with my sis-in-law) on 19 Nov to visit him after we received the call that he'd been hospitalized. I guess deep down, we all knew that his condition is not optimistic and we wanted to see him and be able to spend some time with him. When we left on Thursday, he looked better, had more energy and was able to make short conversations with us. We were all hopeful that he could be discharged in a couple more days. We were planning on sending him back to his family home once he'd been discharged.

Unfortunately, his doctor delayed his discharge because they wanted to monitor him as he wasn't eating and was extremely weak... On 26 Nov, his condition suddenly became critical and his doctor said that it'd be a matter of hours before he left us. Once again, along with the rest of the extended family, Mark and I dashed to Kuala Lumpur, hoping that we'd make it in time to be with him. 

Thankfully we made it to see him and he was surrounded by his wife, all his children and his sisters when he passed on in the early hours of 27 Nov. 

This photo of my father-in-law was taken on my wedding day in 2006 during the luncheon that we hosted at their home in Johor Bahru, and this is how I'd like to remember him... Healthy and well with a twinkle in his eye and the mischievous grin that so reminds me of Mark.  





No comments: