Thursday, March 14, 2013

Announcing the Arrival of Little Bun #2!!


Little bun #2 made his grand entrance at exactly 38 weeks of gestation.. While we were already expecting him any time, the suddenness and how quickly it happened caught me by surprise. 
On the morning of 13 March, I went for my schedule appointment at 10.45 am to see Dr Anu. She did some checks and below is the conversation we had: 

Dr Anu: Oh! You are 4cm dilated and having contractions every 20 minutes!
Me: Wow... really??!
Dr Anu: Aren't you feeling t he contractions?
Me: Nope. Not at all.
Dr Anu: Any pain?
Me: Ehhh... none too.
Dr Anu: Right... I think baby is coming today. We better admit you now. This baby is bigger than Kyran and could come really fast!
Me: ....... **gasp**

(*From memory, when I was in labour with little bun, I was already in considerable pain when I was 4 cm dilated and begging for them to give me the epidural.. it's weird that this time round, I didn't feel ANY pain at all.. oh well.)

I made a quick call to Mark and he told me he was coming home AFTER he's had his lunch (this man's priorities is skewed, I tell you). I made a quick trip home to ummm.. shower  (this is VERY important to me as you can see) and pack my things while I waited for Mark to come home to pick me.

By 2 pm, we were back at the hospital and checked in immediately to the Delivery Suite (ahhh.. this place holds many fond memories for me as I had spent 3 whole weeks there when I was pregnant with little bun). 

Happily posing for photos when I was around 5 cm dilated (still no pain!!) and waiting to be checked out by the mid wife and anaesthetist. 



At 6 cm dilation, I had my epidural in (still wasn't feeling any pain then.. wooohooo!!). Once the epidural was in, it slowed down the whole labour process considerably and Mark and I were thinking that little bun #2 may only arrive the following day at the rate things were progressing. I only started feeling some pain 2 hours later, and they were not contraction pains. I had this annoying but throbbing pain between my shoulder blades that was bothering me and I tried changing positions to alleviate the pain but to no avail. Hmmm.. when people are in labour, I think they are supposed to feel contraction pains rather than shoulder aches. 

Oh before I forget, I had this side effect from the epidural as I did the previous time. I vomited like crazy and once again, sweet ol' Mark held on to the teeny-weeny puke dish while I emptied my stomach. NOT a glamorous sight, I am sure.

After 10 pm, I felt this pressure and an urge to push.. it was then that I started feeling the contractions. They came with a vengeance and oh boy... I cannot imagine how it'd have felt like without the epidural! Dr Anu arrived just before 11 pm and before midnight after a lot of pushing/hold your breath and count to 10/huffing and puffing, our 2nd little prince arrived with a flourish.   

He is much bigger than I expected.. close to 3.8kg and brawling his little lungs out. Dr Anu commented that he was very loud, and a real little screamer.. hehehe.. That was when I decided on his name.. we had a few short-listed but at that moment, little bun #2 picked his own name. We named him Ayden, which means 'fiery one/ little fire'. 


Welcome into our hearts and into our little family, little Ayden!!






No comments: