Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Turning Back Time


This is my 2nd post for today... have just watched the 'live' telecast of Christopher Lee and Fann Wong's ceremonial/ customary wedding on TV and suddenly felt the urge to write something. Well, not about them actually... Today, the 29th of Sep 2009, is actually the 3rd anniversary of our ceremonial wedding too. I did not mention anything about it during my earlier post because Mark and I usually only celebrate 2 anniversaries.. the first is the day that we became boyfriend/girlfriend (07 Mar 98) and the day of our 'official wedding' (21 Oct 06).


** Note: Somehow in Singapore (and I believe no where else in the world), there is are actually 2 types of weddings:

  • Official Wedding - Where you officially become husband and wife in the eyes of the law, i.e the time you go to the Registry of Marriages to take the oath and sign on the dotted line
  • Ceremonial/ Customary Wedding - Refers to the whole traditional Chinese hullabaloo where you pray to the ancestors to 'inform them' that you are now part of the family and then throw a huge banquet and invite relatives whom you have not met since you were 10 years old to dinner (and worry about whether the red packets that you receive can help to offset some of the wedding dinner costs at the end of the day)
Looking at the look of unadulterated joy on the newly-weds faces (and the sparkly diamonds that were dripping off Fann's neck, wrist and ears) reminded me of my own wedding 3 years ago (minus the diamonds). Although we share the same customary wedding anniversary as the celebrity couple, I can only hope that the newly-weds would have better luck than Mark and I in their quest to expand their family.


If only time can bring me back to this very day 3 years back... When I felt like I was the luckiest girl alive; when my whole world was still intact; when I was still blissfully ignorant about how cruel fate can be; when my smiles were genuine and came from the bottom of my heart instead of being just a plastered on mask that I put on nowadays. If only I could turn back time and prevent the deaths of my babies.

No comments: