Monday, March 8, 2010

Our New Sis-in-law


My brother-in-law recently announced that he'd be getting married. It caught most of the family by surprise because we never even knew that he had a girlfriend until Dec 09. Now in Mar 10, he's decided to marry her. She is Vietnamese and apparently they have known each other for over 2 years. He went to Vietnam to visit her over the Christmas holidays and went over again during Chinese New Year to propose. One week after he returned from his vacation there, he announced that she is coming over and they'd be getting married soon.

She (I still don't know how to spell/ pronounce my future sis-in-law's name) arrived on Saturday and they had initially planned to register on 26 Mar. Then yesterday, he announced that they'd be registering their marriage on 10 Mar instead. Whoa... it's like someone hit the 'fast forward' button and forgot to let go. She seems nice, but since I have only met her twice in the same number of days and we didn't interact much, I shall reserve my opinion until later. Not my opinion matters anyway because my bro-in-law looks very happily in love and is totally besotted with his soon-to-be wife. It is a side of him that I have not seen before, and I am glad he's found his special someone.

For now, I hope that she loves him as much as he loves her. It's still early now to tell how she'd be once the initial 'niceties' are gone... Mark's parents, his mom especially, seems to be deliriously happy with the impending nuptials and I really hope that my new sis-in-law will be nice to her in-laws (aka my in-laws too) and treat them the way she would her own parents. I guess I am a cynic and it always takes me a while to warm up to someone as there is this protective side of me that will take some time to size someone up before I let them into my 'circle of trust' (outter). My inner circle of trust is open to only the most 'exclusive'. LOL!!

What also surprised me was the reaction of Mark's Grandma. I had expected her to be ecstatic about the union cos it'd mean another potential 'candidate' to help extend the family line (I sound like a prude!!). She was rather reserved but maybe she's like me, she just needs more time to warm up to her new grand-daugther-in-law. Hopefully this new grand-daughter-in-law will give her the great grandchild that she is longing for since the other hopeless one failed twice at the 'mission'.

Ok, got to go and do up my manicure (DIY of course) and pack my bags for the long (and painful) trip tomorrow. NOT looking forward to it one bit and can't wait for it to be over even though it hasn't even begun!!!

No comments: