Thursday, November 26, 2009

Hysterosalpingogram (HSG) --- Part I


Over the lunch hour yesterday, I was back at NUH to do a scheduled x-ray procedure called Hysterosalpingogram (try pronouncing it!), or simply HSG. Bascially it's done to check if my fallopian tubes are blocked and if my uterus appears normal before I commence on any fertility treatments. My fertility doc was the one who ordered for this test to be done, and she did warn me previously that it'd be rather painful. It was a rather weird and surreal experience... more awkward than painful if you ask me. It WAS pretty painful, but the awkwardness of it bothered me much more.

It was a lady doc who performed the actual procedure, but there was this young MALE doc understudying and assisting her. I guess he'd be around my age, so for me to be in that vulnerable, splayed open and totally unglamorous position for a good 10 minutes was indeed torturous. Sigh... I don't think I will forget this experience anytime soon.

When I saw my uterus on the monitor, again I couldn't help but think to myself how small and empty it looked without a baby swimming and bobbing around inside it. I could almost imagine Chloe in there... contentedly sucking on her thumb and kicking her little legs.

Everything aside, I hope the results are turn out ok. I don't need more problems to complicate my already very complicated and messed up life.

No comments: